• 1 Post By MTVic
  • 1 Post By Midwestrex
  • 1 Post By MTVic

post #1 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question New rider

As a new Honda NM4 owner and generally new to street bike riding I was hoping to get a few questions answered.

#1 How many people have had a flat on their bikes while out riding? Was you able to patch and/or fix yourself?

#2 If there was something on the Honda NM4 you would change what would it be?

#3 What are “must haves” to carry with you on every ride?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rex Huffman
post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Rex,
Have not heard of many having a flat on the nm4, but keep in mind that this is a niche bike, and so it is a small community. This is not the kind of bike the average person takes on weeklong trips, because although it is comfortable the storage sucks.

I'd recommend 2 things to keep your bike carefree/low maintenance.
1. A topcase. Most of us have gotten the Daytona luggage rack https://www.vultusforum.com/forum/20...her-stuff.html Once you have the rack, common top cases are available from Shad and Givi.
Then you have room to store your helmet, tire repair kit, etc. The bike becomes more useable for a wider variety of tasks, which means more riding time.

2. A tire pressure monitoring system: https://www.vultusforum.com/forum/12...-part-1-a.html
You can find the info on this list of upgrades I made to my bike. Obviously a flat tire is a concern to you and this will give you peace of mind, or tell you in advance your tire is going flat.

Good luck.

Dan
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I agree on the unusualness of the bike, and that is most of why I bought it.

Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the Forum. Don't forget to put yourself on the NM4 Registry Map to see who your neighbors are.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep, got a nail in rear. Didn't go flat though, I had put Ride-on in the tire, kept it inflated until I found it going over bike next ride. Pulled nail out, ordered a tire, road it in.

My only complaints on this bike are small storage compartments in Panniers, and mirrors can be hard to use if you mess with handlebars. No bike is perfect so simple to work around. Oh, yea, I also changed wind screen to MadStad. No issues with open face helmet anymore.
Midwestrex likes this.

Mike
2016 NM4
2014 CTX700 DCT

Last edited by MTVic; 01-21-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-21-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

That is great to know about the Ride-on in the tire. Had heard about it but thought it might cause a tire vibration.

Thanks for the input and especially about the Madstadt windshield, which I hope to also address soon.

I knew about the crappy storage going in. To me it is like having 4 small glove boxes which most bikes have -0-.
MTVic likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Ride-On can actually be used as a tire balancer. Lead weights are being allowed in some states like CA. The label tells you how much extra to add to balance, and it works. Don't listen to people who tell you tire dealers hate it when changing tires, it's water soluble and a hose cleans it right up. Been using it for I guess 15 years and NO dealer has ever said a word, and one started selling it after replacing one of my tires.

You could also put a plug kit and portable DC air compressor in one of those small panniers.

Other recommendation:

Makes bike more stable on stand.
Midwestrex likes this.

Mike
2016 NM4
2014 CTX700 DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page