Top Box and more - Honda Vultus Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Top Box and more

I've had the bike one week and this past week have installed: 10w driving lights, digital voltmeter, 12v accessory outlet, luggage rack, top box, tall windshield and additional LED blinking stop light. I ordered luggage rack, cutout panel and tall windshield from Japan and it got here in less than a week and way less than had I purchased from dealer. All that is lacking is throttle lock, palm rest and good weather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side.jpg (203.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Top Box.jpg (179.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Rear view.jpg (114.0 KB, 104 views)
post #2 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Garage
Would you kindly share the top box iformation and part numbers
post #3 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Garage
Brucewinter
Today 07:42 PM - permalinkBrucewinter
I am not mechanical. Can you share with me and the forum, the part numbers so I can duplicate your fine installation.

post #4 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I purchased top box from Amazon, very easy installation.
Kappa Moto K35NT Monolock Tech Top Case
by Kappa
5 customer reviews
Price: $109.00
Sale: $98.10 & FREE Shipping
You Save: $10.90 (10%)
post #5 of 26 Old 12-07-2014, 01:37 AM

Looking Good HF, Well done !

post #6 of 26 Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Garage
can you advise me on your plate fitment kit. Nothing is in the Kappa catalogue
post #7 of 26 Old 12-07-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

It comes with plastic base plate, mounts very rigid with no rattle or movement and aligns well with Honda luggage rack.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Garage
Thank you
post #9 of 26 Old 12-08-2014, 09:46 AM

I really like your setup for the top box. Could you send the link for the place your ordered your parts that you described in your post (...I ordered luggage rack, cutout panel and tall windshield from Japan and it got here in less than a week and way less than had I purchased from dealer)?

I already have a Shadd trunk with the mounting plate, but I need to get the extension part that you have which brings the trunk up and over the back section of the bike without interfering with the braking system lights.
post #10 of 26 Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You will need 2 Honda parts:

The rack is part number: 08R71-MJS-A90

http://japan.webike.net/products/21578940.html

And you will also need the replacement plastic cowl piece that allows the new rack to mount and that part number is: 08R00-MJS-J70ZA

http://japan.webike.net/products/21578941.html

Not sure where HondaFriend ordered his from, but this is one of the most popular Japanese parts sources. They are reliable and ship very quickly. Prices are pretty good too.

My only reservation is this:

Honda has not published any load specification for these parts that I can find. Notoriously, you find that the parts are not designed for much more than a jacket or maybe a helmet's weight. This isn't to say that the rack won't hold more, only that Honda won't back anything heavier if damage occurs.

USA OEM MSRP for the two pieces are: $450 (rack) and $100 (cowl) and it isn't too hard to find places charging more than MSRP.

These are the photos off the US Honda website:

If using the passenger seat is a high priority, or if you have no means to build your own rack, then this might be your best option. However, for my use, I found this option unattractive for the following reasons:

1) Cost - holy crap, $650 for a rack? The metal and paint for my solution was about $15 and took about 30 minutes of welding work.
2) Unknown weight capacity. This really is important because if Honda only recommends 5 pounds then this isn't really a great solution.
3) Holds the topcase way off the back. Practically the entire weight of the topcase sits behind the taillight. More stress on the mount as the back end moves up and down.
4) There is an upward bend to the rack at the rear. Perhaps this does not cause an issue with HondaFriend's tocase, but mine would not have fit flat with that bend there and it may not be an easy matter to flatten it.
5) The design does not seem to have any cross bracing. As you carve corners with any weight on the rack, there will be side loads applied. I worry about how those weight shifts will cause sway in the rack, and what kind of stress that will place on the upper and lower mounts. The upper ones can be checked easily enough, but the lower ones are hidden by the rubber on the cowl.

The installation is pretty straight forward on this piece. The factory rear cowl comes off easy enough with the tools in your factory tool kit. (don't forget the hidden 2 pin clips under the fender) Then you bolt the two supports to the threaded holes on the NM4 frame. Install the new Rear Cowl with the rubber guides. Finish assembling the upper section of the rack and backrest. Attach topcase of choice.

I'm very torn by this design.

On the one hand, it is a simple and elegant solution that keeps all the NM4's features intact. On the other hand, so many unknowns and a rather questionable design raises concerns on capacity.

I realize that my solution is extreme overkill in that I not only used material that is far larger than required, but I also braced the main point of stress such that it is likely stronger than the frame on which it is attached. I'm not trying to compare my solution with the factory part, but rather questioning the strength of the factory part for real world use - that is, loading up a topcase with all the stuff you need to tour regardless of the weight. I know for a fact that over the years, I've put significant weight in my topcase and while you need to manage that while riding, you should not have to worry about the mount failing too. Lets face it, if the bike was designed for a passenger, then the back end should not have a prohibitive weight concern. I just like to reflect that in the cargo as well.

For the record, here is my solution again:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page