User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By valk1999

post #1 of 8 Old 04-03-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New Tires - Avon Storm 3D X-M?

Within my first year of riding my 2017 Vultus I hit the 8k miles mark and the Dunlop tires are looking worn enough to shop for replacements.

While I've not noticed any specific issue with them riding on wet surfaces, I understand that more experienced riders than myself have criticized them.

What make/model of tires have other Vultus owners preferred to the factory installed Dunlops?

I heard a good review about the Avon Storm 3D X-M tires, but has any Vultus owner here had good experience with them?

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/02/23/...ires-review-2/

Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 8-)
post #2 of 8 Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not sure on Avon... but a few thousand miles ago I got a nail in rear and put on the Bridgestone (thank goodness for Ride-on tire additive). At the time it was hard to even find a tire to fit, and the Bridgestone was a more reasonable cost, but still pricey in the end.

Ride mostly good conditions in mtns of NC, and the tire has been great. Saw post about slippery on wet, saw your post. Keep looking for reviews to see if "wet" post was a fluke as you don't want a tire that performs poorly in bad conditions. He implies he rides aggressively so if you don't you're probably fine.

Mike
2016 NM4
2014 CTX700 DCT
post #3 of 8 Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I put on Metzeler Marathon 880's

Got a nail in my rear and noticed the front was wearing hard. So, researched long wearing touring tires and these kept coming up as decent.

Had great luck with them. Climbed Mt Washington, commuted in all months of the year, rain, sun, etc. Hardly look worn at all in almost 2 years and some 6000 miles.

Only thing to remember is these were REALLY slick for the first couple hundred miles. Had to break them in slowly. First 25 miles were actually pretty squirrely.

Absolutely will get them again.

2015 NM4. took delivery on Sept 13, 2014

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-05-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

well, i don't really ride all that aggressively, so perhaps it won't matter all that much which tire i go with. i've not really noticed anything "wrong" with the Dunlops, but i'm also not a very experienced rider. i'm now in my 50's and since being a teen riding a moped in northern NJ, my riding experience only includes ~11k miles on a Yamaha Majesty 400cc scooter, and now ~8k miles on my Vultus. so i doubt i really know the difference between tires at all! ;-)

incidentally, i live in WNC, so i'm always riding in our mountains here! i've not yet even seen another Vultus in WNC.

thanks for the input! 8-)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

hmmm... "REALLY slick" sounds a bit scary to me! 8-) but i'll also check into Metzeler Marathon 800's as well.

i could also call Revzilla and see what kind of suggestions i get from them, but i just thought i'd first check in with fellow Vultus riders just to see if one particular set of tires stands out among the rest.

thanks for your input! 8-)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard B Carman View Post
well, i don't really ride all that aggressively, so perhaps it won't matter all that much which tire i go with. i've not really noticed anything "wrong" with the Dunlops, but i'm also not a very experienced rider. i'm now in my 50's and since being a teen riding a moped in northern NJ, my riding experience only includes ~11k miles on a Yamaha Majesty 400cc scooter, and now ~8k miles on my Vultus. so i doubt i really know the difference between tires at all! ;-)

incidentally, i live in WNC, so i'm always riding in our mountains here! i've not yet even seen another Vultus in WNC.

thanks for the input! 8-)
I ride a lot in WNC too. I'll be going up in May for a few weeks. Near Cashiers, NC. If you're near maybe we'll meet up sometime. They freak out when I stop at Pisgah for lunch or a break, just think if they saw two! PM me if interested.

Mike
2016 NM4
2014 CTX700 DCT
post #7 of 8 Old 04-11-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

"They freak out when I stop at Pisgah for lunch or a break, just think if they saw two!"

LOL! 8-)

thanks for the invite! i'll PM you with my contact info in case i have any time to ride when you're here.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chris, thanks for your tire input, picked up my 2016 NM4 from TN, and rode it home to Rockland, south of Boston. I see that you moved the rear brake from the right foot to the left handlebar, I would love to do that, since my previous ride was a 2005 Yamaha Majesty with both hand brakes, and my right foot still thinks it doesn't need to do anything. Installed the rear rack in preparation for the trunk, a little bit at a time. Would appreciate any info about what was needed to move the rear brake. Competent, but not particularly intuitive... Thanks,
Karen
WI_Hedgehog likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page