• 1 Post By MTVic
  • 1 Post By Chris

post #1 of 6 Old 08-26-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Chain

What is the expected life (miles or months) of the chain that comes with our bikes?
Also, what length (I guess in links) fits our NM4?
Lastly, is one type (sealed, x-type, etc.) really better than another, or is it just a matter of preference?
Thanx for anyone's and everyone's input.
post #2 of 6 Old 08-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just took my NM4 in for it's 16,000 mile service. Noticed chain was starting to slap as I accelerated. Needed a new chain. Not sure about where you live but here in Florida we get a lot of sand in the air which probably does not help mush on the life. I just ordered the Honda replacement. As I have a service plan with my shop they fitted it for free. But belt and new sprockets (They advice replacing both when you change the chain) was around $300. Chain alone was around $200
CaliVultus likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-30-2016, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPhill View Post
Just took my NM4 in for it's 16,000 mile service. Noticed chain was starting to slap as I accelerated. Needed a new chain. Not sure about where you live but here in Florida we get a lot of sand in the air which probably does not help mush on the life. I just ordered the Honda replacement. As I have a service plan with my shop they fitted it for free. But belt and new sprockets (They advice replacing both when you change the chain) was around $300. Chain alone was around $200

16,000 miles ALREADY! I need to touch base with you before you hit the 50,000 mark!
CCPhill likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I like to do my own service when I can, but I may have screwed the pooch when trying to tighten my chain.
My chain length mark on the left side sticker on the swingarm showed plenty of room to go before reaching the green or even close to the red "too long" mark.
So I thought I was fine to left the rear, loosen the right side axle nut, and begin alternately moving the adjuster 10mm bolts backwards to tighten.
I turned and turned and eventually the 10mm got to a point where it would not move easily or at all. I thought it was binding up somehow because I still had plenty of distance to go on the markers.
However, as I tried turning the 10mm harder I ended up stripping the bolt head.
On further inspection I found that the adjuster bolt had reached some kind of captured length limit. As in you can't move the 10mm so far that it would actually come out of the swingarm.

Which is weird because what if they need to be replaced like mine do now?

How would a person get them out if they are "captured" in the swingarm?

Are their longer 10mm bolts that would allow more chain tightening to get further into the green zone of the adjustment sticker?

Could my adjustment sticker have been misapplied to my swingarm and I am really at the max adjustment and now need new bolts and a new chain?
I have about 13,000 miles on my chain and honestly I rode it in a lot of rain and didn't lube it at all until about maybe the 10,000 mile mark. Now it is so loose that it slaps up and down and left and right causing it to take tiny bites out of the rear tire when it slaps left and right.

Be Excellent to each other
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Over on the CTX 700 site "https://www.ctx700forum.com/" (which uses same engine/tranny) you'll find reports all over the place. Poor riding conditions, hard riding, poor maintenance... everything affects chain life. You'll see AVERAGES 14-18k. If you are a heavy user or using it for commuting, you may want to put on an automatic chain oiler. It can extend chain life to 20k-30k, but also comes with more initial fiddling, fitting, and getting use to how to dial it in. Since very few NM4's out there, you should do some searches over there to see potential issues or answers to questions you may have on the motor/tranny/chain.
seamorob likes this.

Mike
2016 NM4
2014 CTX700 DCT
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Should also be noted that on the NM4, the chain is NOT straight front to rear. The drive sprocket on the transmission is slightly inboard from the wheel sprocket. Aligning the rear wheel takes some extra effort. No idea how that offset will effect chain life. Mine has nearly 20k on it and still runs great, but I apply Amsoil chain lube weekly.
seamorob likes this.

2015 NM4. took delivery on Sept 13, 2014

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page