User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 04-16-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Center Stand Install

A while ago, I purchased the center stand for a NC700S and a stand stop. I got around to installing them over the past week and wanted to post up my experience.

First, here are the parts I got:

Center Stand for NC700S

http://japan.webike.net/products/20891360.html

Center Stand Stop

http://japan.webike.net/products/20531216.html

As it sits, the foot arm would impact the plastic body of the NM4, but everything else fits just fine.

So, I cut the arm about 1/4" from the brace.

Then, the long search for a proper extension began. I had hoped to find a solution that anyone could do. Sadly, it did not work out. I ended up with a piece of 3/4" threaded rod which seemed to fit, but did not fit well enough into the tubes to make a solid connection.

So, what I ended up doing was cutting a piece of the rod 5 1/2" long. I then used my angle grinder to reduce the height of the threads a little here and there to fit the rod into the stand pieces.

Once I had the rod fitting snug, but easy to insert and remove, I mixed up some JB Weld, spread it on the inside of the tubes and into the threads of the rod.

Let the whole thing cure for more than a day.

On trying the stand, I found that the foot pad hit the ground just before the stand sent to full lock. So, I had to grind off the back section of the foot pad. That did the trick. I can't figure out how I messed up the angle when I set it, but I did.

The other part that was not easy was pulling the springs to attach to the stand. I ended up attaching a large ratchet strap to a tree and tied a length of paracord to the spring and used the ratchet to stretch it to fit. Lot of tension was needed, so if you do this, be careful.

Anyway, once I got the stand working, it WORKS AWESOME!!!

Here are the photos:

When up, the foot pad sits just in front of the passenger footrest. The stand retracts nice and high.

All in all, it was a PIA project as it seemed like nothing went as I wanted. However, the result works. I can easily lube the chain, the bike sits nice and stable, and the rear wheel is high enough to easily remove.

I will not be building these. Sorry, but I can't guarantee quality. However, the project is simple enough that if you can cut and grind metal, you can do it without any fancy tools. Just test and trial fit again and again. Maybe you'll get the angle right.

UPDATE: Never did put it in here. The extension has to move the foot pad roughly 2" further out. In other words, where you cut needs to have an extension of 2" between the pieces when it is all done. The 5.5" long piece I used is roughly evenly spaced on either side. Hope that helps.

2015 NM4. took delivery on Sept 13, 2014

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

Last edited by Chris; 11-25-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Never said how much the foot pad needed to be extended.
post #2 of 21 Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great job Chris. I'm happy for you, sad for me you won't be selling them.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK,,, I might order the parts and give this a try. You mention the stand and stop part numbers. What about the springs themselves? Any other little minor bits needed?
I probably have enough tools in the garage to do everything except welding, but know a few folks who could probably do that. I am even setup to do some powdercoating on small pieces, but that stand might not fit in my little powdercoating oven. In a pinch, with good ventilation, I could perhaps just use the oven in the kitchen.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All the parts come with the stand. The only thing you might want to do is drill and tap a grease fitting.

You don't need to weld. I used an Epoxy called J.B. Weld and it has held up just fine.

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #5 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Cool. So just that stand and the stop parts. I'd still likely go with real welding and not epoxy. Yeah, JB Weld is decent, but it isn't the equal of welding either. Even a good braze may be stronger than JB Weld. I have a metal lathe, so will likely have a higher tolerance fit than you had, which makes it quite iffy to do anything but welding, since epoxy will mostly wipe off the surfaces when fitting together. In such a blind fitting, you end up not knowing how much if any epoxy remained on the parts. So if I can weld, I will weld.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Done, thanks Chris. Ordered the stand and stop, and while there added the tall windscreen, and parts for a rear rack,,,, so that I'd get to the level where they give free shipping.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-14-2015, 10:20 PM

FYI,,,, nice install instructions on another forum: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/how-to-...d-install.html
post #8 of 21 Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The method at that link is fine if you have 2 people. However, I found that doing it alone required a different approach. Specifically, putting the spring on.

Some people tie the spring end to the rear wheel and roll the bike backwards to pull the spring into place. Some use drum brake spring tools. I did that on my old scooter, but the NM4's springs were way too stiff to safely do that (you don't want these to snap back on you).

My approach was to line the bike up with a tree. Tie some paracord (thin rope with a high strength) from the spring to a ratchet strap attached to the tree. I was then able to slowly stretch the spring using the ratchet strap. Once the spring was in line with the loop on the stand, I was able to easily position the hook of the spring over the stand's loop, ensure everything was aligned and then cut the cord. Since everything only moved a fraction of an inch it wasn't a dramatic release. Best of all, it used no strength and no worries about a strong spring suddenly releasing on me. Oh, and be sure your parking brake is set. You don't want the bike rolling on you as you tighten the ratchet.
Gizmo likes this.

post #9 of 21 Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Well I noted mention of using a brake spring tool, which I have from my days long ago as a mechanic. Would be doing it with 2 of us anyway, and the other guy is a current master mechanic, so I think we'd figure it out
post #10 of 21 Old 09-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Chris thanks for the idea and clear process for this needed install. What do you think of using a 3/4" bottoming tap into both steel stubs and using JB weld on the threads?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page