Silver Wing - Honda Vultus Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 02-12-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Silver Wing

Hi all, been thinking of getting a second bike for shorter rides than my favorite NM4. I have researched the 2015 Silver Wing, onbtained and studied the online shop and owners manuals and think it might be a fun and useful ride. I've also located a source for a factory New 2015 with 0 miles. I know some of you have or have had personal experience with the Silver Wing and wonder if you'd be willing to share any impressions. Thanks.

2016 NM 4 DELIVERED AUGUST 2015

MODS: Honda tall windscreen, modified NC700S center stand, Honda rear center console, rear carrier with passenger backrest, modified standard garage door opener installed, rear right foot brake moved to Silver Wing master cylinder on left handlebar. Replaced Honda rear carrier with Datona unit. Installed vintage TriBar holder and Samsonite top box.
Bikes, brother's Harley Duoglide, Hondas CB92, CB77, CB750 K2, CX500 and now NM 4-2, SilverWing.
post #2 of 17 Old 02-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Garage
It is not a bad machine, but the design is nearly 2 decades old now. However, that said, it is very simple and easy to maintain. Only thing that really sucks are: belt, clutches, and coolant change

2015 NM4. took delivery on Sept 13, 2014

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #3 of 17 Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Chris, just the info I need. I'll reread those proceedure.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Before I bought my NM4 my previous bike was a Silverwing. Yes the design is old (came out in 2003 I think). But don't let that stop you.
My experience is that the bike was virtually bulletproof in its reliability.
Several people have reported over 100k on their bikes before selling, and the new owners coming on to the forum have also been happy.
A number of people have also used it for a run from key west to Alaska and back.
I personally road my scooter from Miami to Tennessee straight through, for a Honda Hoot back when they had them.
Also a number of couples that significantly exceed its recommended maximum weight of 386 lbs have loaded it with camping gear and gone camping with no complaints.
Also I'm quite sure I put more Farkles and gadgets and gimmicks and dooddads than anyone on it, and I mean that literally.
On www.silverwing.org (an old board not worth your time now) and www.silverwing600.com (a current and active board) I was known as the king of custom.
You can see an album of my former silverwing here: http://www.silverwing600.com/gallery...ck-cat_u39.htm
If you are looking for the big scooter type, I definitely recommend it over the burgman, kymco, aprilla and bmw units.
Enough space underseat for 2 helmets. Easy to acquire top box, and enough aftermarket stuff available to turn it into a mini Goldwing @ half the price or less.
Getting a new one with 0 miles on it is a real find. If the price is good go for it, and feel free to ask any questions.
Mind if I ask what it is selling for?

Dan

Last edited by dspevack; 02-12-2017 at 03:23 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-12-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dan,
Thanks for the good information, boards, images and positive encouragement.
As per the price, have not negotiated that yet. I will let you know the price I am able to get on it. I had the feeling that there might be a few left.
Do you have a feeling about which year might be the best? I am inclined to go for the last year of production.
Blain
post #6 of 17 Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM

There have only been 2 major differences in the design of the Silverwing.
The dash changed from painted to padded around 2007, and they added an oxygen sensor to the exhaust pipe around 2009 I believe.
If its important to you, you can verify the oxygen sensor addition year on the 600 board.
So technically after the addition of the oxygen sensor, it all comes down to price and condition.
If its a new bike, you'll have full warranty, so that's a plus for that.
But if an earlier year then last year of production is available at a significant discount there is no reason not to get it, assuming equal condition.

Dan
post #7 of 17 Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 AM

Garage
Have you checked out and considered the new Honda X-ADV? It's got the same transmission as our NM4, so the riding learning curve will be shallow, plus the key fob, the adjustable windscreen, and helmet storage underseat should make it a contender, in my opinion.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-13-2017, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wing info

Dan,

I have not checked the ADV but, will do it before I commit to the Wing.

I checked out the Wing board and your mod photos with detailed result charts. Lots'a good information there. Boy, you really tricked that little rascal out.

That info on no change all the way up to 2015 is very helpful. I'm planning to contact the seller tomorrow and, will fill you in after.

Thanks for shareing your experiences.

Blain

MODS: Honda tall windscreen, modified NC700S center stand, Honda rear center console, rear carrier with passenger backrest, modified standard garage door opener installed, rear right foot brake moved to Silver Wing master cylinder on left handlebar. Replaced Honda rear carrier with Datona unit. Installed vintage TriBar holder and Samsonite top box.
Bikes, brother's Harley Duoglide, Hondas CB92, CB77, CB750 K2, CX500 and now NM 4-2, SilverWing.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-14-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
CaliVultus

I did check out the X-ADV as much as I could. My local dealer didn't have one and was not sure they would be released in the US. The cast aluminum frame, DCT gears and key fob were interesting but, like many riders who first see the NM-4, I just didn't like it's looks.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wing purchase update.

Sales person in SF Moto found me a 0 mileage 2013 Silver Wing still in crate from Japan in Honda's warehouse in Florida. Thinks single shipper move will cost about $600. Soon as she has complete work up, will call for me to give ok plus a deposit and come in to sign sales agreement.
The 2013 has all the changes done to the model including ABS and exhaust oxygen sensor.
Boy I'm really excited. You'll probably read more about this than necessary.
Thanks for your friendly help and information.
Blain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page