Pushover - Honda Vultus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris

post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pushover

OK, there is the remains of a hurricane off the coast, but winds have been fairly light around my area. I was parked on a concrete pad around the corner from the front of the store. (not only puts me on a level concrete place that won't be damaged by the kickstand, but it is also in the shade) The pad is between the entrance structure and the start of the handicap parking. It's about 20 feet wide and long. This time of year there is a hose connected there to water the plants outside. Nobody has ever said a word about parking a bike there and I do so every time I shop there.

Came out of the store today and she's lying on her side. Opposite the kickstand.

Furious that someone might be responsible for it, but also amazed that there isn't more damage. I'll post photos when I can take them tomorrow, but there really isn't much to see.

1) Rear pannier cover has a scrape on the lower front where it sticks out furthest.
2) Mirror pod popped off, but snapped back on without any issues. Minor scrapes on the outer edge.
3) bent the bracket and scraped the new Clearwater driving light on that side. Bracket was easily bent back.
4) Side shelter scraped where the mirror pod attaches and there is a crack in the plastic on the back side of where the mirror pod attaches.

I'll have to replace some panels at some point, but overall not too bad. A lot less than I would have expected. From about 10 feet you would really need to look hard to see the damage.

I really hope it wasn't a person and just some freak wind. I'm trying to convince myself that this is the case.

I did ask the store if they had any video of the area, but the camera pans and on one sweep the bike is up and when it comes back, it's down. There are people coming in and out, but no way to say anyone went around the corner and did the deed.
ChaosPuzzle Change likes this.

2015 NM4. took delivery on Sept 13, 2014

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #2 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 01:17 AM

Garage
How strong will a wind have to blow to knock over 562 lbs leaning the way? It seems pretty freaky that would happen the way it did. And if it was the wind, I suspect the damage would be more evident (and costly).

It almost looks like someone was just playing a practical joke and laid your bike down gently on the opposite side of the stand.

I'm glad for you the damage was minimal, maybe not even enough to cover your deductible. Count your blessings and be grateful for them.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 01:15 PM

Garage
I live at the coast myself and seen many storms but I never had even my old 125cc scooter fel over with the wind.
Also the damage would not be small.
The NM4 with it's batman looks also has the interest of many kids. I also had my alarm going off ones and when I looked 3 kids wanted to take pictures with them and the bike. Ofc one of them thought to go and sit on it and the alarm went off.
As you're bike does not have many damage It's likely that something similar happend. Kids underestimate the weight of the bike and then can't hold it up.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Garage
I'm with you, want to think it was other than a dumb **** person. Feel bad
but, glad the damage was minimul.
Blain

2016 NM 4 DELIVERED AUGUST 2015

MODS: Honda tall windscreen, modified NC700S center stand, Honda rear center console, rear carrier with passenger backrest, modified standard garage door opener installed, rear right foot brake moved to Silver Wing master cylinder on left handlebar. Replaced Honda rear carrier with Datona unit. Installed vintage TriBar holder and Samsonite top box.
Bikes, brother's Harley Duoglide, Hondas CB92, CB77, CB750 K2, CX500 and now NM 4-2, SilverWing.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 PM

One way to help avoid this, is to always put the bike on the center stand.
Its much harder to tip over and even if they get on the bike it isn't likely to go over by accident.

Dan
post #6 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, today, it just drizzled all day long. Never a break to roll the bike out for photos, but we only got 0.11 inches total. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the photos because the shots in the garage just are not coming out right.

Strange thing is that I almost always put it up on the center stand. No idea why I didn't. Guess I felt I was just popping in for a moment.

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yay, the sun finally came out so I could get some shots of the damage that you can actually see.

Of course, it's also 91 degrees out and a heat index of 98 degrees due to the high humidity. Our normal high this time of year is mid 70's. *sigh*

OK without further adieu, here is the damage my NM4 received from last week's pushover...

Mirror pod and Side Shelter damage. Mirror pod hit first, popped off and then the top edge of the side shelter hit the ground.

The impact seems to have popped the tab that holds the surround together on the right as these pieces no longer stay together:

And finally, where the pannier struck, there is a scrape on the cover, and a slight misalignment:

post #8 of 10 Old 10-18-2016, 03:55 AM

Garage
How's the repair going? Any parts your looking for? I've been keeping my eyes open on the Net for NM4 being parted out. Not much out there rite now but, if I see anything will send a note.
Blain

2016 NM 4 DELIVERED AUGUST 2015

MODS: Honda tall windscreen, modified NC700S center stand, Honda rear center console, rear carrier with passenger backrest, modified standard garage door opener installed, rear right foot brake moved to Silver Wing master cylinder on left handlebar. Replaced Honda rear carrier with Datona unit. Installed vintage TriBar holder and Samsonite top box.
Bikes, brother's Harley Duoglide, Hondas CB92, CB77, CB750 K2, CX500 and now NM 4-2, SilverWing.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Have not done anything.

I'll eventually just buy new panels and replace them. Just not in the budget or a high priority now. It isn't really noticeable unless you are close up, so it isn't a big deal. And nothing impacts the operation of the bike.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Hey,

About two months ago I had a similar situation; a construction worker backed up his F1500 into my bike and tipped it over. Luckily I had witnesses and reported all the information to my insurance; the resulting bill was $1600 (parts and labor). These panels are very expensive, with each being ~$200 and some had to be back-ordered. I could've punched the fool when he said 'things happen'...yeah it was not a good day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page