The seat - Honda Vultus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris

post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The seat

While the NM4 has a much better saddle than most bikes, it still isn't perfect. At least for me.

On longer rides, I can start to feel the seat pan, and on one ride, I hit a good bump that was enough to leave me with a sore butt. Even given the width, it seems that all my weight was centered on the middle of the seat and the extra width wasn't doing much.

Now, I'm 220lbs, so that might have something to do with the matter. I'm also talking about rides that exceed an hour in the saddle.

So, I visited a local shop (New England Trim) and talked over my options with the owner.

My three desires in having seat work done were:

1) Comfort - Use the full width and eliminate the "bottom out" of the padding to hit the seat pan.

2) Heat - The NM4 does not have you moving about as much as some more upright bikes and I've found my rear getting warmer than comfortable on hot days.

3) Sun Absorption - Is there any other seat cover material that would not become a hot plate if you need to park in the sun.

Sadly, it seems that #3 is virtually impossible. We discussed all the options and unless you put a bright color on, there isn't much of solution. However, the solution to #2 might help here...

#2 is being addressed with a custom made cover pad. This is made from the multi-layer material used to make heated and cooled seats in automobiles. The idea is that there is no way to build a seat that protects the foam from weather and sun and still allow air to move through it. Even if you are not in the rain, a damp or humid day would end up passing moisture into the foam which would encourage mold to grow.

By making a custom pad that hooks to the seat, it will stay in place and allow air to move a little between me and the seat. Also, when in place, it shields the vinyl from the sun, and should be a lot cooler and will cool off as airflow occurs. I hope that this does the trick on those really hot days. Best of all, this will be custom made for this saddle and easily removed when not needed.

OK, now comfort. My #1 issue.

The stock foam was removed and 4 different density foams were used to reconstruct the seat. The first is a very dense base layer designed to provide a solid foundation and prevent the middle of the pan being felt through the padding. On the outside edges, a slightly less dense material was used and transitions to a softer material as you come to the center. Over the entire top, a thin and soft material is used to provide a blending. Over all this, the stock cover still fits and if you did not have two saddles side by side, you would not be able to tell any work was done. I was amazed how vastly improved the ride was given that you don't see anything.

The foam work is amazing too. I should have taken a photo when he had the cover off to show me. You could clearly see the different foams as they are all different colors, but the thing that I found interesting was how blended and shaped the final product was. It simply looked like a single piece bonded to the pan with various colors applied. But I could easily feel the difference when touching them.

I took the seat for a ride last night and was amazed at just how much better it supported and that I could not feel the center ridge of the pan at all. I purposely hit a bump and loved the way I felt the hit, but not in just one point like the stock saddle, but rather across my entire rear.

So, I took the seat back today to be finished.

Finished? Yes. Now that the support has been fixed, it is time to add the final comfort suspension. Suspension? Yup. In the form of a gel pad. This will ride above the 'foundation' layer and under the mixed support layer. The purpose is to allow some 'spring' for those harder hits and a means to damp vibrations. This piece is $100 in itself, and looking at it you'd never think it helps at all. It's not that thick and certainly does not feel soft. But it works by allowing the gel to move in the material. This provides a shock absorber type action for larger hits and damps vibration.

I should be picking up the final product tomorrow and I'm pretty excited!

2015 NM4. took delivery on Sept 13, 2014

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Should have waited.

Shop called me on my way home that the saddle was done, so I swung by and picked it up.

Here it is with the cover on. The rest of it looks the same. But OH is it much nicer to sit on. Will take a nice long ride in the next few days to really test it.

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, and for the curious...

The new foam, gel pad, and custom top pad along with all the labor to form and shape it:

$372.19 (tax included)

Far cry from some of the big names, and a 3 day process was a lot quicker too.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 AM

Garage
I use a Pro Pad #6401 (large) gel pad in sheepskin. Doesn't completely remove the long distance discomfort, but it helps. I need to take mine to an upholsterer, too. Unfortunate that there's no secondary market for these bikes yet, even Corbin says they don't have enough demand to tool one up for us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (198.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by IronCharles; 07-14-2016 at 03:20 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 AM

Garage
Forgot to note, I also have a piece of 1.5" thick open cell foam underneath the Pro Pad, with a hole cut in it where my tailbone sits. The Pro Pad itself is not as thick as it appears here.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Manged to get in several longer rides over the last several days. As many as 2 hours in the saddle.

The comfort is much better. No more feeling the center ridge of the seat pan. Harder bumps and rough roads were much easier on the backside.

The pad seems to breath just fine. At no time did I feel like the seat was getting too warm or sweat was building up between me and the vinyl. It's a little more difficult changing position with the pad as it does not slide as easily as the vinyl does, but neither does it move around.

With the high humidity and temps, it was a very good test.

Cool thing was taking the pad and tossing it into the wash. It came out of the washing machine just damp and hanging it up had it dry in just a couple hours. Honestly might have been dry earlier, but I had not checked. Seems to not absorb any water at all. I could easily see this as a sink wash and drip dry overnight. Very cool.

All in all, this was a great modification.
IronCharles likes this.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2016, 12:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEIPhjXEYk

I use to have warm seat until i have the local saddlery fix a mesh neting over the saddle.

it helps, it cost about a hundred dollars over here to cut it to size and fitting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page