Year-old NM4 been at mechanic for 5 weeks do to DCT failure. Need advice. - Honda Vultus Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Year-old NM4 been at mechanic for 5 weeks do to DCT failure. Need advice.

With only 3800 miles on it, I pull the bike to a stop and note the gear indicator is just a " - " and I was unable to change gear, and once the engine stopped, I was unable to start it unless I was rolling, and even then the gear was still stuck (at 5th gear). Seems on par with the issue on page 107 of the owners manual.

It was just barely within warranty, so I call up my dealer I bought it from, out of state, bring it there, and, 5 weeks later, still there.

I call them weekly. I get responses like "we just fixed it, we just need to test ride it" and "Yeah it didn't work we are trying something else." or "Yeah our mechanic was in the hospital for a few weeks."

They've contacted Honda Reps to verify if the ECM was the problem, and it allegedly wasn't.

The most recent thing I've heard from them is "the mechanics are banging their heads together still trying to figure it out. It will shift when taken apart but it won't shift after they put it back together."

I ride year round if there is no snow on the ground, but it looks like I'm losing half my summer over this issue. I don't know what to do or if I can do anything. Some people are telling me to look into legal action or lemon law and then other more mechanical people are telling me "this is how repairs are sometimes."

Any advice or similar nightmare stories like this? They are repairing it under warranty but it's taking so long it's well outside of warranty at this point.

Part of me is wondering if they just have other bikes to fix and taking the NM4's body apart is such a pain that they keep putting it off because it's being covered under warranty.

Last edited by SharpEdge; 06-15-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2017, 07:45 PM

I would speak to the service manager, without malice or accusations and say,
"Obviously I'm frustrated and I see you are doing all you can. What would you do if you were me?"
After letting him answer the question, I would ask him, "Do you think you could get us a conference call with the Honda America rep, with my goal being to get the bike replaced as a lemon?"
The reason for this is simple. You don't want to make him and his staff seem incompetent.
If they have been doing their best to get it done under warranty, then you want him to work with you and not make it his fault.
If he refuses, then I would give him a deadline for completing the work, after which you will speak with American Honda directly.
Tell him at that point. "I want to give you the opportunity to make it right, but at the end of the day, its the results that count, and I have been more than patient. I'm sure you can understand my position, can't you?"

Dan
post #3 of 8 Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

@dspevack

At the very least I can say they went out of their way to get the warranty coverage. The issue occurred about 3 days after the end of the warranty, but, according to them, they made the calls to get covered under it as soon as possible. Within the first week.

My fear is that if I push too hard they can throw the fact that it was technically out of warranty back at me.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2017, 07:01 AM

I stand by my original suggestion. "What would you do if you were me?"
post #5 of 8 Old 06-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Garage
Seems to me that the group most interested in your problem is Honda and they have quite a few DCT bikes in service and would be most responsive to your needs. Perhaps, if you are uneasy about your dealer's reaction to a push, some of us who have less risk (no failure) can inquire for you. My dealer service department? reports they have not experienced any DCT lockup failures like you describe.
Blain
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 07:20 AM

Garage
Curious- did you have the first 500 mile service performed on your bike?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bairdb View Post
Seems to me that the group most interested in your problem is Honda and they have quite a few DCT bikes in service and would be most responsive to your needs. Perhaps, if you are uneasy about your dealer's reaction to a push, some of us who have less risk (no failure) can inquire for you. My dealer service department? reports they have not experienced any DCT lockup failures like you describe.
Blain
Well according to my dealer, I asked them if Honda has given them any feedback, and they told me they said "let us know if you figure out what is wrong."

I don't know how true that is but if it's something in the owners manual for troubleshooting then you'd think they'd have some solutions on hand for it.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIPMAN View Post
Curious- did you have the first 500 mile service performed on your bike?
Yup, got that taken care of. I was just about to take it in again too for maintenance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page