Making Your NM4 More Visual from the Rear - Mike Mas - Honda Vultus Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By IdelUp

post #1 of 5 Old 09-27-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Making Your NM4 More Visual from the Rear - Mike Mas

Making Your NM4 More Visual from the Rear - Mike Mas

One place our Honda NM4’s really stands tall - is with the factory equipped LED lighting both front and rear - While I’m more than happy with the front lighting since there is three points of lighting with the included dual function turn signals, I felt the rear needed to be more visual both for day and night driving, so I set out to add some additional lighting.

Since the NM4 is what it is - I didn’t want to hang on any optional lighting that would distract from her beautiful lines, so my requirements was to add lighting that would not really be visible to someone looking over the machine. With this in mind I decided to add “Super Bright” LED lighting to the lower portion of the rear section. There is two advantages; one they are not really openly visible, and second, they are shaded which really makes them extra effective in rear visibility.

The LED strip lights - were located at my local Advance Auto store - make sure when you pick these up, they are the “Super Bright” set since these are 2-3 times brighter than the standard LED lighting strips. A real plus of these lights is the fact the body is black which allows then to blend in with our color.

Each strip has a removable connector - making it easy to route wires - make sure to line up the arrows when you plug them in to avoid shorting the set. These sets have a cigarette plug which you’ll remove and connect these same wires to your tail light power connector. When you cut off the wires - remember that the black wire with the “White” stripe is going to be your hot 12 volt side.

You’ll need power to run the LED’s - so locate the tag light wire set - by loosening the small plastic side panels inside the rear light fixture - they are held on with one phillips screw. I refrain from cutting and splicing any wires on my bikes. You can use a crimp on connector, but because of the compact housing area, I just made my connection by pulling the wire covering back a 1/16” or so and then wrap my wire around the leads and solder the connection. On the wire leads, the green is of course (negative) ground and the other striped wire is 12 v hot lead while the lights are on. I placed the extra wire in these side compartments then let the wire exit the compartment about a few inches where my led wrapped up into the interior of the well and made my connection. I secured all wire with tape to avoid and movement during travel.

Each LED strip - has a 3M stick compound that really hold good to “smooth” plastic surfaces so carefully clean the area and carefully apply the LED strip on each side of the cases. You’ll find on the NM4 the rear of the cases are not identical, however it looks fine once in place. Where the wire plugs into the light, I sealed the connection with some electrical tape.

In conclusion - I tried the bike in both day and night rides with a great results - since the LED’s are sort of protected from direct sunlight they show up very well in the shaded areas. At night they are even more visual since they light the entire tire / muffler area and gives the NM4 a super slick look. In addition, the LED’s are also view-able from the rear sides as well. For both safety and visual reasons the price for the 2 LED’s strips ($24.95- 36.95) are a small price to pay for the safety they offer as well as making you bike look a bit more tricked out.

Enjoy - Mike Mas

Alex, IronCharles and Spuducus like this.
post #2 of 5 Old 09-27-2016, 11:44 AM

Garage
Nice mod. Better visibility to be seen is always a plus for safety.
Do you do a lot of night riding? How are they in the daylight?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-27-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Calivultus,

Thanks for the reply - as a rule I don't ride that much at night however in the short winter days I find my self coming home in the dark.

Since the LED's are shaded under the panels they are very visual during the day.

Regards

Mike

post #4 of 5 Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 PM

IdelUp,
I have big problem becouse i cant open your Pictures. Maybe you can send me email with photos
Andrzej.krasnodebski@onet.eu? I will gratful.

Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 10-06-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
IdelUp,
I have big problem becouse i cant open your Pictures. Maybe you can send me email with photos
Andrzej.krasnodebski@onet.eu? I will gratful.

Thanks
x

I sure will I'll send them tomm.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page