I hate My Kickstand - Honda Vultus Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 09-24-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I hate My Kickstand

Hey guys - I could not deal with the goofy stock kickstand making the machine look like it was tipping over - I measured the angle of my NC700 and found out we need 3/4" more height on the NM4 to match the angle of the NC700.

For those who are looking for a quick fix, you can drill a few holes in the kickstand plate and attach either a hard rubber or metal shim as I did on my machine. This is more than likely a temp fix as I'm going to have my buddy machine a piece and attch it to the stand with a larger foot print.

Regards - Mike

Gizmo and Harleygone like this.
post #2 of 25 Old 09-24-2016, 06:47 PM

Mike,
I recommend you take a look at the threads on this board regarding a centerstand too.
Avoid the lean altogether.

dan
post #3 of 25 Old 09-24-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspevack View Post
Mike,
I recommend you take a look at the threads on this board regarding a centerstand too.
Avoid the lean altogether.

dan
Thanks for the reply - I did read a few threads but was under the impression - there was not a center-stand actually designed for the NM.

In either case I would like to have the side stand operable - as we all know putting a bike on a center-stand is a procedure you're not going to want to use as an everyday stand.

Regards

post #4 of 25 Old 09-24-2016, 09:02 PM

You are correct there is no centerstand designed specifically for the NM4
There is however enough info on the board to purchase appropriate parts and have one made.

You wrote, "as we all know putting a bike on a center-stand is a procedure you're not going to want to use as an everyday stand."

Anything you do is a procedure, and "as we all know" is a way of claiming something is a universal constant. It isn't.

I use my center stand everyday, every time. But you are welcome to your choice.
Bairdb likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-25-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply - I'm not no spring chicken and I was wondering just how much effort it takes to put it up on the stand - I guess I'm a little gun shy from my center stand on my Goldwing.

Do you still have your side stand - because as you know most parking areas at least here in North Ga are far from level.

Thanks
post #6 of 25 Old 09-25-2016, 09:51 AM

Yes I have my side stand, and yes I added thickness to the foot for the very same reason that you do.
However at the time it was important because I did not yet have the center stand mod.
The NM4 is probably around 300lbs lighter than your GW.

One of the things that I did to make my center stand easier, was cut the legs on it, and then reattach the feet.
This way getting it on the stand requires less effort. My rear wheel is just barely above the ground.
You could even make your centerstand short enough that the rear wheel doesn't leave the ground.
Then you have 4 points of contact for balance rather than 3.
I can also sit on the bike, and move my body in a sharp motion forward and it will drop off the stand.

One of the problems of motorcycles, is that the brake handle is on the right side, and we get off to the left side,
so we have to reach across the bike and hold the opposite side handle when we get on or off.
However elsewhere in this forum there are instructions for turning the right side foot brake into a left handbrake.
This way you will have two handbrakes and no foot brake.
It will make it much easier to get on and off because you'll have a handbrake on your left side.

Last edited by dspevack; 09-25-2016 at 09:54 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-25-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - I did read that post on the brake conversion - I commend him for posting the detailed instructions.

While on the subject of brake pedals, I would not mind adding the second handle but would not want to lose my foot brake in the effort.

The brake pedal position on the NM4 is one of the things I don't care for - like my Spyder F3T, you have to almost lift your foot all the way off the floorboard to apply the brake. I like the standard foot brake design where my foot is and inch off the lever in the event I need it right away. I'm looking at ways to raise the floorboard so its not such an effort to hit the brake.

What about installing a BMW electric stand on the bike Lol - if Honda would have incorporated on of these on the NM4 they would have doubled their sales.

Regards
post #8 of 25 Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 PM

Garage
Had. The same reaction to the NM 4 side stand. First fix was stand foot enlarger from Amazon. Helped but did not solve the chain maintenance issue. Second fix was a paddock rear wheel stand. Worked great but still unhappy with using a side stand for street parking. Third fix due to the well researched and documented center stand MOD from this forum. Did all the work myself and I use my new center stand all the time, even in my garage. It's a great mod and am happy and thankful for it. Fourth MOD was rear brake control move to new left bar master cylinder. Best MOD yet makes hilly rides in San Francisco a real joy.
Hope this helps.
Blain

2016 NM 4 DELIVERED AUGUST 2015

MODS: Honda tall windscreen, modified NC700S center stand, Honda rear center console, rear carrier with passenger backrest, modified standard garage door opener installed, rear right foot brake moved to Silver Wing master cylinder on left handlebar. Replaced Honda rear carrier with Datona unit. Installed vintage TriBar holder and Samsonite top box.
Bikes, brother's Harley Duoglide, Hondas CB92, CB77, CB750 K2, CX500 and now NM 4-2, SilverWing.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 PM

Garage
More times that not, I use the center stand. Makes the chain lube a lot easier too.

I used to think the side stand was too short, but all you need to do is park on a slight side slope and suddenly it isn't. Also allows room to fit a stand pad under the foot on soft pavement or dirt.

I almost always get off the bike to the right and climb on from the left. No idea why, it's just what I've done. Second nature now. Not going to change after more than 10 years.

The rear brake modification was the best one. Coming from scooters, it make sense, but even after riding for a couple months (backorder on parts) I never got used to the pedal. I can hop onto most bikes and have no issues riding 'standard' controls, but something about having my brakes at hand just feels more natural. Maybe it's because I've been an avid cyclist for years and got used to that.

But you know, the best part is that you can have it the way you want it.

2015 NM4. took delivery on Sept 13, 2014

Mods: homemade bracket for topcase, modified NC700S center stand, rear brake at left hand using Silver Wing master cylinder, Amps Rugged Mount 12v GPS charger/mount, USB power at handlebars, Hot Grips heated grips, Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights, SAE power port, Mo-Door hidden garage opener, Custom seat foam and gel pad with hot weather top pad.

post #10 of 25 Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's guys - concerning the brake, that's one of the things I dislike most on my Spyder, BRP took all the brake levers off, I really miss having another brake option.

Another problem which I'm working on now for the NM4 is getting the floor board closer to the pedal. When there's danger of say like deer in an area I like having my foot over the brake sort of like you do on a NC 700 or other common bike.

The very worst is on the Spyder's - On my F3T you have to actually lift your foot off the floor to apply the brake - you get in city traffic its a real problem. On the Spyder I added a 3/4" block under the floor board to raise it. Regretfully that won't work on the NM4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Vultus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page